Want to plan and lead on dives, organise and manage groups of divers and develop rescue management skills?
As a BSAC Dive Leader you are becoming an expert in your field of dive leadership. Planning dives for groups. Managing diving on the day including, if necessary, managing rescue situations. This comprehensive course is a mix of classroom-based and practical lessons that will give divers confidence to plan, lead and manage dives, and deal with emergencies. Leading a dive will develop enjoyment, confidence and experience as a diver. After qualifying, and if you wish, depth can be built progressively to a maximum of 50m. Dive Leaders are eligible to progress to Open Water Instructor.
To enroll on the BSAC Dive Leader Course you must be 14 years or older*. BSAC Sports Diver is a prerequisite for this course.
*Sports Divers aged 12-14 are able to complete all elements of Dive Leader that do not require depths in excess of 20m)
What you’ll learn
You will learn dive leadership skills through 12 classroom lessons, seven open water dives, two dry practical lessons and 20 dives (which may include the open water lessons) in a range of conditions.
BSAC Dive Leader course covers the role of the BSAC Dive Leader. Dive Planning and Management. Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB) use (midwater deployment). Dive Leading demonstrations. Basic life support with Oxygen administration and practical management of diving incidents, casualty assessment, dive planning, shot recovery by simple lift and review of rescue skills.
Qualification and what that means
- A BSAC Dive Leader is defined as a diver who:
• Plan and lead a range of dives including those requiring detailed dive, gas and decompression requirements planning.
• Has rescue management skills.
• Competent to manage and supervise branch dives to locations well known to the branch.
• Conduct dives with divers of any grade.
• Conduct experience building dives with trainee Ocean Divers, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered by the trainee Ocean Diver, and under the supervision of a Dive Manager.